Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday - long day!

Part of the reason today seemed so long is that I went to bed so late last night. A month or so ago, I was asked to speak at a dinner. Since that day I've been gathering my thoughts. Almost right away I started a document on my computer. From time to time, I just jotted down my thoughts - a paragraph here and there, whenever something came to me. Last night I read through my notes (it was already after 10, silly me!) and started putting things together. When I finished around 1 o'clock this morning, I had about 1600 words. Obviously I'm not done with this. (e.d.i.t.)

I was up before 7, got ready for church, sang in the choir for first service then picked up two of my grandkids from their classes. They had muffins and juice and told me all about their morning. Then it was time for 2nd service and choir again. Once the choir was done, T and I took grandchild #3 and headed out to I-Hop for brunch. This time we actually made it to I-Hop! The entire time we had little miss Sierra, she never quit talking. I think I heard more out of her today than I have heard in the three years she's been alive! And I learned so much about her. She is very compassionate and generous. When we first talked about going to brunch this morning, she was all excited about it. But she was also concerned for her brother and sister and wanted us to know that it was okay if they came too. We told her that they'd already had a turn and it was her turn to go with us, by herself. She just wiggled with excitement. When asked what she would like to receive for Christmas, she said a doll so she could give it to her friend Hailey because she really loves dollies. Somehow I never expected these types of reactions from Sierra. What a sweetheart!

After brunch I took Sierra home while T got ready for the National Honor Society induction of new members. He worked for quite a while yesterday on a lovely program for the ceremony and the parents and sponsors were so appreciative. Of the fourteen new members, eleven have been in my classes either in junior high or last year's World History class at NCHS. I really was just delighted to be a part of this moment, honoring these great students.

Got the doors locked and went out to the parking lot where we decided to divide and conquer. T went to visit his mom and I went to visit mine. We spent about an hour and a half with them then headed home. I'm tired and still need to plan a devotional for tomorrow morning. Not to worry, I have a file at school with several options. I think I'll just sit here by the fire and sip my spiced cider. It's time to relax!

No comments: