Monday, November 08, 2010

The Negotiator

We have started something fun. Each Sunday after church we go to breakfast with one of our three in-town grandchildren. Last week, first-born granddaughter Kayla went happily to I-Hop with us and then spent the afternoon at our house. Yesterday was Colton's turn. He does like to eat at I-Hop so that was our plan, with his approval of course. As we were leaving the church I looked back at this thoughtful little boy. I could see that the wheels were turning in his mind. We made eye contact and then he began:

"You know a really good place to eat, Grandma?"

"No, Colton, where's a really good place to eat?"

"Wendy's, it's really good!"

"Really! I didn't know that. Why is it so good?"

"Well, they have this thing called a Frosty. Have you ever had a Frosty, Grandma?"

"Yes, I have Colton. You're right; they are very good! What if we go to I-Hop for breakfast and then swing by Wendy's for a Frosty?"

"Well, we could do that... or... we could just go to Wendy's then we wouldn't have to go to two places!"

"What a good idea Colton. Let's go to Wendy's."

And that, my friends, is how a six-year-old negotiator works his grandparents with complete courtesy and respect. Kudos to my children who have raised him to express his needs and desires without being abrasive!

No comments: