Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thanks to the Vets

There is a mandate in American education that school children will be instructed once a year in the cost of our freedom through an assembly honoring veterans. It happens the day before Veteran's Day each year at our school. I always get a lump in my throat as I think of the many students who have parents serving in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as other places. I do want to honor the veterans but I also want to be kind and considerate of those children who are trying to figure out how to get through the day without mom or dad or both, as is the case with one elementary student here. I am always moved by the children's sacrifice and I pray that a happy reunion will come soon. Freedom truly is not free; it costs lives and relationships. God bless those who serve and those who wait at home.

No comments: