Sunday, November 28, 2010

Six Point Snowflakes

Technically it's Sunday but in my brain, since it's just after midnight, it's still Saturday night. I've been cleaning most of the day because I have company coming over for Sunday dinner after church. But this afternoon, I took three hours off to babysit my grandchildren... and the granddog! Kayla was trying to make snowflakes but she wasn't happy with the results so I taught her something new, something I learned to do in 1981.

We were in Albertville, France to learn the language. Honestly we were doing quite well, enjoying the mountain village life, frequent trips to Geneva Switzerland, establishing new friendships. One of the things that the French ladies at the language center did every Christmas was to decorate with six-point snowflakes. They were very particular about making these just right. It involves starting with the square the folding the paper in half, corner to corner into a triangle. Next fold the triangle into thirds and again in half so that there is one straight edge across the top of the folds on one side of the folded paper. Cut along that line and then just start cutting. The more paper that is removed, the prettier the snowflake. It's important to cut shapes into all three sides, without, of course, cutting through the whole thing. Unfold and flatten the snowflake and you will see the prettiest, most delicate snowflake ever! Kayla was absolutely enchanted with these. She made eight of them and Colton made two! Not bad for a six-year-old. It is not an easy process so I was very proud of my little ones.

No comments: