Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thankfulness #2

It is snowing outside, which is not what I'm thankful for but wow, it is so beautiful! There's nothing quite as pretty as the first snowfall of the season. As long as it's done before December 21st so my plane can fly, I'm just dandy about snow!

I am so thankful for my sons and daughters. I have four children - with two of them I endured nine months of being really large and awkward. Both of them arrived via c-section, with the second birth being significantly easier than the first. My two red-headed boys are such a joy. They love us dearly and they are the best of friends. It's more than we could have hoped for, given all the sibling rivalry that occurred when they were quite young. Thankfully they got over that a long time ago. Both of our sons have grown into wonderful men. They both are committed to loving God and serving their community of believers and unbelievers. I really like that. Both are strong men, leaders, yet amazingly gentle with their little ones. Both did something really, really intelligent. They married extremely well. Scott married Kassie over 14 years ago. Amazing! That's so much longer than it feels like to me. I love my Kassie, a first born girl with great strength and a loving heart. She continues to impress me with her innate ability to handle three children and that big fourth one - my son. She is an organizer of the first order, great at graphic design, and the perfect mother for my three oldest grandchildren. What a blessing she is - daily in our lives! Then over eight years ago, Brian demonstrated his good taste by marrying our Erin. Dear, gentle, quietly resilient Erin. Oh how I love her. Her talent as an artist is demonstrated by her work displayed throughout our house. Her love for international life makes her the perfect match for our son. Her incredibly gentle and astute abilities as a loving mother to our two youngest grandchildren bless me beyond measure. I am so grateful for her. She rescued us all many years ago, took us on to love and cherish (well, that was actually for our son) and has changed our lives forever. Both of my girls love the Lord with their whole beings and are committed to serving Him. They astound me with their depth of faith and character.

I have done nothing to merit such blessing. People I know who were, without doubt, better mothers than I, deal with broken family relationships today. These children are simply a gift. They are perfectly wonderful and wonderfully imperfect. I would not enjoy having perfect children. How boring! All of my children have enriched my life by simply being. Oh God, I am so very thankful!

No comments: