Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankfulness #5

Today I am thankful for spontaneity. This is such a fun time of year. Baking is not my strong suit. I tend to cook rather than bake. But 'tis the season so I baked pumpkin brownies with cream cheese frosting a couple days ago. This morning I made up the dough for molasses crinkles, quite like ginger snaps only chewy, and I prepared a batch of my dad's clam dip, a family tradition. As I was working away, the phone rang. Scott and the family were on their way to the store and wanted to stop by to pick up something to do with tomorrow's Turkey Bowl. So I invited them to lunch, DiGiorno's pizza, and they happily accepted. I was glad I had a carton of peppermint ice cream too. It was such fun, only a couple hours but I love that I am a part of their lives.

Tomorrow is the big day. We are doing a "Progressive Thanksgiving" celebration. We'll begin at 9 in the morning at Scott's for the Turkey Bowl. This is the BIGGEST FOOTBALL GAME EVER, played by some of the cutest kids you've ever seen. Scott started this tradition three years ago when Colton was just three years old. That first year the game lasted about 10 minutes. It gets longer and more elaborate each year. Afterwards, Scott creates a DVD of the game with highlights and background music and player interviews. It is absolutely hilarious! The DVD is played over and over by these kids, which totally builds the excitement for the next year to come around so they can do it again! We'll have brunch with them: biscuits and sausage gravy, bacon, eggs, all kinds of special breads and coffee cakes. I'm bringing Trader Joe's Spiced Apple Cider and a big fruit salad. We'll leave there around 1 o'clock then head to my brother, Jeff's, for the next round, the meal: Turkey and stuffing, ham, new potatoes, fresh vegetables, more of my fruit salad. They'll have pies but we're skipping dessert... with them. We'll leave and head to Terry's brother, Verle's, for dessert. We are going to be the ones who are stuffed! Of course a lot of the fun is the anticipation. And I do anticipate good fun, loving family, wonderful memories.

No comments: