Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankfulness #3

I'm glad I'm focusing on thankfulness this week otherwise this ridiculous day would get far more attention than it deserved. As it was, this was the least productive day I've had at school in years! And it's all because of S-N-O-W! Nearly all night long, students emailed and FB questions about school. I told them we were having school but they didn't want to have school, so today they acted like crazy people instead. Actually my husband's stories of this day are far worse than mine so I will refrain from any more discussion of my day. At least I'm alive!

I never totally understood the concept of Christian Family until my first grandchild was born. This idea of the cycle of life became so clear to me at that moment. Kayla, my beautiful granddaughter, came into this world over ten years ago and has been a delight from the moment she was born. But more than that, she gave me the sense of generational faith that I had not understood before her birth. It was reinforced last month when my fifth grandchild, Eliott, was born. Another boy! We now have three granddaughters and two grandsons... plus a male grandpuppy. Don't think for a moment he doesn't count. Colton needs him to level the playing field at his house.

My father-in-law once told me that he was praying through my grandchildren and it would be my duty to pray through my grandchildren's children. I know it's not that easy. I know that the element of personal choice is huge in this relationship but his words have often caused me to think and yes, to pray, that my grandchildren's children might early know and love God.

I am so thankful for these five children (and any more that my second son and his wife would like to bestow upon me). Whenever I am able to see them, to be with them, I have such an overwhelming sense of joy and delight. Talking to other grandmothers, I realize that I am truly blessed because not all grandmas feel as I do. Their situations are completely different. Too many of them are the primary caregivers for their grandchildren. Parents have abdicated their responsibilities through substance abuse or incarceration. It's a sad thing to have to raise grandchildren because of parental irresponsibility. If anything ever happened to my children, I would gladly step up to the plate and do everything in my power to help my grandchildren feel loved and supported but I am glad to say that this level of responsibility has not been necessary. My sons and daughters are wonderful parents and I rest in this sentiment of deep personal satisfaction for all I have received... from them and from the Lord.

It's true; God Himself considers grandchildren to be a blessing (read Proverbs) and I heartily concur!

No comments: