Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Forever and Forever

My grandchildren mean the world to me. Love, yes the kind of love that truly would lay down my life for them, that’s it! That’s what I feel for them. Babysitting is a riot, including trips to Chuck E. Cheese from time to time, which makes for great childcare plus rates pretty high on the cool grandparent scale.

On Halloween night, three little costumed cuties showed up at my door, ready for treats. And treats were what they got – a quart sized zip-lock bag of small toys, candy, and fruit roll-ups for each Jedi, Asian Princess, and Super-Girl. The three left for a few moments to hit the neighborhood, accompanied by Grandpa (the Pirate Captain) and their dad. When they got back, I was helping my three-year-old Super-girl adjust her outfit and the conversation went like this:


“I love you Sierra; you are such a big girl!”


“I love you too Grandma and I’m Super-girl and I’m going to take care of you forever and forever… cuz I’m Super-girl and I just love you.”


I was stunned. Overcome with joy. Ready to sob big tears, but I didn’t. Had I begun, I never would have stopped. How? What? Why… am I so blessed. I can barely contain my love, my delight, the sense that any moment I will awaken to find that the best dream a woman could imagine just passed through my mind and heart. Don’t you dare pinch me!



No comments: