Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thankfulness #1

I have decided I need a week of thankfulness. I've been overwhelmed by some of the things I read on the web, from the amazing generosity of people to the idiocy of some classroom situations. I realize that I lead a very blessed life and want to reflect on that this week. Beginning with the man on the roof of my house.

I met my husband when we were in high school. We have defied the statistics; not only did we get married but we've stayed married - for 37+ years so far. T's greatest love (besides the Lord and me) was playing his trumpet. He was so good, so very good; it was an amazing gift. But years of living overseas away from all his musical opportunities took its toll on his lip - an important commodity for a trumpet player - and his trumpet began to gather dust. Then cancer visited, thankfully just as a visitor not a resident. Whatever hope he had of getting his lip back seemed to be out the door. Then at some point in time this year, I began to hear the muted sounds of that horn again. This morning, the mute was removed and the trumpet was blown full blast. And it sounds wonderful. I am so happy to hear him playing again for he loves it so!

Oh yes, about the roof... my one-eyed man is up there spraying a bleach/water combination trying to kill the moss. I have given up asking him to be careful. He's living his life, doing what he would have done with or without cancer. I love this man. He is one of God's greatest gifts to me. Yes, I have good reason to be thankful today.

1 comment:

Brian & Erin said...

Awesome ! Way to go, Dad. Blow that horn. Thanks Mom for being right there by him. Love you immensely.
BK