Monday, September 27, 2010

Yes, I am amazed!

Sunday morning dawned and I began to get myself pulled together so I would be ready for choir. We had just finished our iChat with adorable Gracie and her parents in France and I was feeling a bit sentimental. I gave a glance at my email, quickly scanning one that had come from the church. It mentioned a Christmas dinner for women's ministries. Anyone who knows me is quick to realize that women-only events are not my forté. In fact, I avoid them like the plague! That's why I was surprised to hear that still, small voice whisper, "Remember when they ask you to speak, and you say yes, that it is all about the child."

I was more than a bit startled. I have heard that voice before. It spoke to me just before a letter arrived asking us to consider moving from Martinique to Haiti. Almost everyone knew that Haiti was not high on my list of places to live. That God would speak to me to prepare me for that letter and move was huge but not super surprising, given my attitude. But why would his voice speak to me now?

I went to church, got through the first service then spent several moments visiting with friends. I was walking quickly to the sanctuary doors when a lady called my name. She informed me that women's ministries was planning a Christmas dinner and would like me to speak. I just looked at that lady, took a deep breath and replied, "Okay." I walked on into the sanctuary and joined the choir on the risers.

I have been in a bit of a daze ever since. I don't get it. I know I don't particularly like these kinds of events but why in the world would I get this kind of emphatic direction? I don't know. I may never know. But I do know what I'll be talking about - because it's all about the child!

1 comment:

Cami said...

I will be praying for you this evening. Isn't God particularly generous sometimes to be so clear about what He wants us to do. He seems to know when He must or we would find a way to escape His call.