Friday, September 17, 2010

Poetry Friday - As Summer into Autumn slips

We have just come through one of the coolest summers ever. And I don't mean that it was hip - it was cold and wet! But August brought welcome sunshine and warm temperatures. The weather man says we still have some nice weather ahead of us and I am hoping that's true because our Washington summer was just too short! I shared this poem with my 8th graders today and they agreed that we are not yet ready for autumn, even if it is one of the loveliest times of the year!

As Summer into Autumn slips by Emily Dickinson

As Summer into Autumn slips
And yet we sooner say
"The Summer" than "the Autumn," lest
We turn the sun away,

And almost count it an Affront
The presence to concede
Of one however lovely, not
The one that we have loved --

So we evade the charge of Years
On one attempting shy
The Circumvention of the Shaft
Of Life's Declivity.

Of course we also discussed the passage of time and the different stages of life. There was a fair bit of vocabulary analysis going on as well. But my students love Poetry Friday and I'm grateful to Ruth for her posts that have pushed me to include this in my already overcharged schedule!

No comments: