Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sadness and Loss

It never seems to end. My husband and I spent eighteen years working in Haiti. We lived there for twelve of those years. Last night I learned that one of my former students was shot and killed over the weekend. There was a home invasion and kidnapping, and shots rang out. A life was lost, one I knew and cared about. I am just so saddened over this on-going situation. Haiti is a beautiful country but it's small and incredibly poor. When bad things happen, they affect a lot of people because the duck pond is little and all the ducks know each other. This young man, age 30-something, left behind a family who loved him and a ton of friends who really cared. He also left behind teachers who invested in his life, hoping he would make a difference. There is now one less voice to be heard.

No comments: