Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pursue Excellence, Not Excuses

Each year I read the book Do Hard Things to my 7th grade bible class. There are several things I like about this book but the phrase that has lived on my white board each year is Pursue Excellence, Not Excuses. Generally speaking, junior high students are masters at excuses. Most excuses are slight alterations of the truth; some are just big, fat lies. It always amazes me when students come off with huge, outlandish stories that I know are not true. I kind of enjoy the process of watching them revise their stories as I inform them that parents will be called or emailed. One boy pulled the "my nana's printer ran out of ink just as we were starting to print my paper" excuse. And when I said that I would call nana and talk to her about her printer, suddenly, maybe, J wasn't at nana's at all... "it was someone's... now where was I working?" To which I replied, "Let's start over with the truth. Where is your essay?" And J answered, "I didn't do it." Okay. Finally. Truth.

I fight excuses. Students will start to offer their rationale and I will often stop them cold and let them know that I simply don't want to hear it. And I don't. I believe my students can give me work that will thrill my literary heart; I want to see that! Life will not give them constant 'do-overs' with no consequences. If junior high students can learn to pursue excellence and not waste their breath with excuses, they will become successful high school students... who will become successful college students... who will make a difference in the world. I deeply desire to see my students making a difference in the world so I myself will continue to pursue excellence and just admit my mistakes when they happen. It helps them when they realize that I am willing to acknowlege the errors of my ways. And as I often tell them "Don't do it again!"

No comments: