Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Smell of a Bookstore

It's incredible, right? I mean, we used to go to Barnes & Noble in Miami and spend hours thumbing through books, seeing what was on the bargain racks, enjoying a coffee. On vacations, anywhere, we find the little out of the way, odd bookstores, usually full of used books and other cool stuff. We'd literally spend days in these quirky little places. I've been thinking about bookstores lately. Word is that Borders is going to file for bankruptcy. I rushed right in and used up all my gift cards from Christmas! Hope you've done that... they won't be worth much after chapter 11.

When e-books first came out, I scoffed. Never... never would an electronic whatever replace the beauty of holding and reading a good book. Then my hubby bought me an iPod touch. I am not a gadgets kind of person. I'd never had an iPod because I couldn't think of a reason to get one... until we decided to go to Israel for Christmas. Right... l-o-n-g flights, plus terrible luggage restrictions and books are heavy! In comes my new iPod touch with my 20+ books downloaded and it fits in the little front pocket of my purse. The back-lit screen means I don't need a light to read at night so I don't keep my hubby awake. I absolutely love it!

So I'm really sorry Borders but I understand why this has happened. Amazon is my new bookstore... but I do miss the coffee, leather chairs, and that amazing smell of books!

No comments: