Thursday, February 17, 2011

Grandparent's Day

Today was Grandparent's Day; it was also Spirit Day, as in patriotic red, white, and blue day which meant I got to wear blue jeans. I wear black ones every day but my blue jeans... I love my blue jeans! Anyway, the entire school was mobbed with grandparents - all but the junior high. Oh I had three sets, the other 7th grade homeroom had two, and the 8th grade had one. But the sixth grade had at least two dozen, fifth had 30+ and I swear there were five adults for every kindergarten and first grade student! It was crazy! I wish junior high could just skip it but being part of a K-8 school means there are some things we just can't avoid, and this seems to be one of them. Of the three sets of grandparents who came today, one set has legally become the parents of my student. They took him when he was a year old and have had him ever since. We did have an interesting 30 minutes though. A few years ago I came up with a questionnaire for kids to ask their grandparents about the cost of things when the grandparents were the same age as the kids are now. Then a year later I added questions about the president at that time, the national fear, hourly wage or yearly salary... that kind of thing. The kids were freaking out at the idea of a movie for 25 cents. So that was fun and we had snacks. Done for another year!

No comments: