Sunday, December 12, 2010

Like Mother, Like... I suppose so

I love my mother; I really do. But she is one independent person - even when she shouldn't be! Yesterday, after wrapping a table full of gifts for Christmas, I sat down to relax a bit and called my mom for a chat. I wasn't on the phone very long when I realized that she sounded extremely tired. She's 82 and sometimes doesn't sleep well so I asked her all the questions about her sleeping habits, kept getting the I'm fine responses and finally just asked her why she sounded so tired. It seems that she decided to have the inside of her house painted last week so she moved all her living room and dining room furniture, took down the drapes, rods, pictures on the wall, etc. The painter came, did his job (took three days because there were several cracks to repair) and then left mother with her freshly painted house. She started getting everything put back. When I called she had replaced all the furniture, drapery rods, and just hung the drapes. She informed me that she thought she was tired from standing on the ladder, hanging the drapes. I told her I'd be right there. I talked with her again as I was on my way and found out that she hadn't eaten much the past three days so I went by a fast food place and got her a chicken pita sandwich. I was more than just a bit upset. She promised her doctor over five years ago that she would stay off ladders. I reminded her of that but she just brushed my words aside. I stayed the afternoon, hung her pictures, helped her decide on lamps and table placements and did the rearranging. Once I got back home, I was still steaming a bit about it to my husband... and he started laughing! I was not pleased and asked him what he found so funny about my 82-year-old mother's independent streak! He told me flat out that I was just like her and that I'd be doing the same thing when I was her age so just get over myself! I represent - I mean - resent that!

No comments: