Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Dignity and Death

Elizabeth Edwards died today. Mother, mentor, health-care activist, the should-have-been candidate rather than her preening husband. (Every time I saw John on TV, I wanted someone to mess up his hair!) She really struggled with her faith and I am hopeful that faith won at the end. Losing her beloved 16-year-old son gave her every reason to question God. I certainly don't blame her for that but I do hope that she was finally able to get passed the pain and back to her foundational beliefs, especially as she has now joined that child in eternity. I do my best to refrain from criticizing people who have suffered that kind of loss. Who am I to say they shouldn't challenge God? I don't know about you but I figure God is big enough to deal with that kind of anger and pain. Admittedly the grace required to endure such loss is one that (thankfully) I have not had to experience. It's true that my father died eight years ago but that is not like losing a teenage child. I admired Elizabeth Edwards. I agreed with her stance on national health care. We should at least have something that can provide for those who cannot afford their medical bills. I have seen first hand what happens to people who are not covered and the result is usually bankruptcy and often homelessness. It makes me so angry. That - should - never - happen! Not in this country! But it does and we should be ashamed of it. But no, we're going to give millionaires their tax breaks because they want to be billionaires. Ridiculous! But, I digress... rest in peace EE and may God give your children a special sense of His presence as they suffer this loss of their mother at this young age.

No comments: