Sunday, December 05, 2010

Friday Night Surprise

Last Friday night was the women's ministries dinner and I was asked to speak. It went very well; the sanctuary was transformed into a beautiful winter scene. There were 41 round tables of eight ladies, each table hosted by a lady who decorated the table with her dinner-ware and favorite Christmas centerpiece. It was truly lovely. When I arrived and headed to my place, I got a big surprise. Among the ladies present was my granddaughter, Kayla, and her little friend, Zoe. They were with their mommies at a table quite near mine, but my back was to them so I didn't really get to watch them. Every 10-15 minutes I would feel little arms coming around my neck and get another hug from the girls. They were so sweet. I didn't think my daughter-in-law was going to be there, let alone my granddaughter. Otherwise I would never have used illustrations about them! ha! The speaking part went fine; it's something I've been doing for many years so I'm not afraid but I do want what I say to be relevant to those who listen. When I wrote my speech, I didn't have anything in it that was funny but as I spoke, little things came to me rather spontaneously and that provided the levity that these events need. It really was a lovely evening; the ministries team did a great job and I was thankful that the Lord was able to encourage the ladies to make a difference in the lives of others.

1 comment:

Cami said...

Thank you for sharing! What a blessing to have your loved ones there. My mom often tells me that there is nothing like feeling her granddaughters arms around her neck. The Lord certainly was intentional about rewarding you for your obedience!