Friday, August 06, 2010

Teaching Experiences

I was reading through a blog tonight that dealt basically with first time experiences, including this teacher's first teaching experience. It was an amazing read. I have had an incredibly easy life in the classroom, especially by comparison. This just further confirms my belief that teaching is a calling because why else would The Science Goddess continue in this profession after experiencing such a horrific first year!

I remember knowing that I would be a teacher. It began in 5th grade with my irritation that the teacher didn't have a clue about managing a classroom and it came into extreme clarity in 6th grade when the teacher called my mother in for a conference because I was not doing well in math. My mother was in tears. I vividly remember working on a math assignment, taking it to the teacher's desk where she sat, grading our work, only to have her tell me that it was wrong--- do it again. So I did and it was still wrong so I did it over and over and over and it was always wrong. She never did show me how to do it correctly. I knew then that I would be a teacher and that I would treat my students with respect.

Those memories have really helped me relate to my students each year. I remember what it felt like to be in a room that was completely out of control. I did not like it, even though I am certain that I was a big part of the problem. And I remember what it felt like to know that a teacher did not believe that I was capable of being taught. That was humiliating and disrespectful. But it's okay; because of this, my own expectations for my students have no limit. I know they can learn. I remember a parent-teacher conference I had three years ago, with the student present due to parental request. This kid really struggled; I remember asking L. if he believed he was capable of doing the work. He told me no. I asked him if he believed in me as a teacher and he told me yes. So I told him that I totally believed that he was capable and that he could just trust me, believe in me, and let me be the one to believe in him and pretty soon he would know success. It worked.

I am insanely optimistic and I like that. I have a feeling this character trait is going to be put to the test this year. But that's okay... I'm a true believer in the untapped capabilities of junior high kids. Success will come, again.

No comments: