Thursday, August 05, 2010

Sacred Space

It is difficult for me to stay focused on the things of God, even when I am trying really hard to do so. Plus, I get a bit tired of the folksy devotionals with sweet little stories attached to them. For several years I read Oswald Chambers each morning. There is nothing folksy about Chambers and I read his work year after year but then was ready for a change. Last year I read Neil Anderson's online devotional. For a couple of months I tried out Max Lucado's. Anderson's was a good one for me, for the year, but then it repeated itself so I needed to move on. Lucado's? Not so much.

Several years ago, my daughter-in-law's sister posted a link to an Irish Jesuit devotional site called Sacred Space. This is a very simple site that is a prayer guide. The scripture reference changes weekly and there is a different emphasis for each day but otherwise, it's quite the same, yet it doesn't bore me at all. It is deeply personal, if I take the time to focus on what it is guiding me to do. Ahem... my difficulty - distractions! I was ready to go this morning, totally committed, when a doe and her fawn stepped into the yard, headed for my garden. Out the door I went! Oh but they were beautiful! I love living with the forest creatures and towering evergreens and tranquil lake. This setting and prayer guidance from the Irish Jesuits gave me a true sense of the presence of God today. I'm am grateful.

No comments: