Monday, August 23, 2010

Counting Down....

Today is my last day of freedom! Well, somewhat. Tomorrow should be no school but I have two parent meetings in the afternoon. Wednesday is sit through boring staff meeting time and Thursday is work in the classroom. My classroom is ready so I have no intention of staying on campus during work days. I've found that too many people drop by so no one gets much done anyway. Several of the teachers last year worked until well after midnight getting their rooms ready for the meet and greet day on Friday. That is something I've never been able to understand. The following Monday and Tuesday are work days and kids arrive on Wednesday the first. So I do have time; it just won't be the same after today.

I have a new bookcase again this year! Last year my hubby found a big, old, solid-oak bookcase for sale on a gov't auction site. Sometimes it's a good thing to live in the state capital. This year my brother and his wife gave me a really tall bookcase that came out of her mother's house. There are doors for the lower section but I think I'm just going to leave it open and put in art supplies that the kids can access easily. I'm still filling it up but I have no doubt that will happen quickly. Who ever has enough storage? If the bottom section gets messy then I'll add the doors but for now, I like it.

The other thing that has occupied my time is our backyard renovation. We bought our house four years ago from my husband's mother. His dad died in 2005 and after a year, she knew she needed something else and moved into a condo with a gorgeous view of Mount Rainier. We moved to WA a month before she decided to sell, bought the house, and spent the first six months renovating the inside. It took us a long time to find the courage to tackle the yard but we have worked all summer to change this overgrown hillside...


...into something I am really proud of, a beautiful hillside with trails that small grandchildren love to run. We still have some grass to plant on the west side of our house but that's it; all our yardwork is finished! Next we need to paint the house. I've chosen the color (SW-Svelte Sage) but we haven't done anything more than that. I'm even thinking about asking my unemployed neighbor, who just did a beautiful job of painting his house, if he would like another project! I wouldn't mind observing rather than working this time!

So since this is my last truly free day. I'd better get busy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What was the name of the government auction site? I am looking for a bookshelf and how much did it cost? Thank you.