Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Glorious summer heat

I know that people in the eastern part of the US don't feel the same about 90* weather as we do out in the Pacific Northwest. For the past three days we have hit new records. Both Saturday and Sunday were 97* and yesterday it got up to 92* - all new highs. We don't have a/c but we do have tall Douglas Fir, Spruce, and Cedar trees surrounding our property. It's like natural a/c. This picture is taken from the back of our patio toward the hillside that we worked on all summer. The umbrella hides the waterfall and pond but it gives you a good idea of how much shade we have. Of course that changes throughout the day but it is generally a cool, tranquil space... unless we have three little children running the hillside. That's fun too. Our summer heat will be short-lived. In fact, it's supposed to rain on Saturday. My water bill will appreciate that. And my flowers, some seriously burned by the hot sun, will enjoy the relief as well. As for me, I just wish it had come sooner. School officially starts in two weeks - I go back next week for meetings and classroom set-up. I would have enjoyed this part of summer more if it had come sooner!

No comments: