Saturday, July 24, 2010

Choices

One of the most amazing things about life in the states is the choices we have; it's also one of the most tiring things - having to make choices. I still remember when we returned to the states after our first four years out as missionaries, coming from Martinique. The boys really wanted to go to McDonalds. Makes sense to most parents of small kids, I know. We went for breakfast and T asked for a cup of coffee and a danish. He was then faced with the choices: cream and sugar? Apple, cherry, cheese? He just looked at the girl, so I told her cherry. He likes cherry anything. T still stresses over choices. A few minutes ago, I had him stop at Spooner Farms for blackberries and blueberries. When my cell rang, I knew he must be facing a choice. Sure enough, did I want blackberries or marion berries? I told him to taste one of each and buy the sweeter berry. (I think it's too early for the marion berries.) So he did, with me on the phone because he might need help defining his version of sweet! ha!

It is the abundance that becomes our weakness, that can lead to a spirit of entitlement, a life of conspicuous consumption. We have lived in (the country of) Miami and now WA state for ten years already! We still debate every purchase, every want versus need. Twenty-five years of life overseas on a missionary salary will breed that into a person. I think I'm glad. I want to remember that there are those who struggle to find sustenance, let alone abundance. Personally, I like having choices. I just want to be faithful, to not forget others, to do my part to lift those who have little or no hope. I want to remember what it was like not having choices and I want to be thankful.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

So true about all the choices! It is paralyzing for my daughter to order from a menu in the US.