Friday, January 14, 2011

Respect Fasting

I'm here to tell you that following the Daniel Fast is not for wimps! Oh my goodness. Day one I experienced one of the worst headaches of my life! I'm quite sure it was a lack of coffee that was killing me. I went through two days of pretty intense headaches. By day three, there was just a slight residue of pain and now, the headache is gone. However, I've had some muscle pain (probably a lack of protein) and some tummy issues but it's all okay. I did find something that makes my heart sing or my tummy warble.... avocados with pear vinaigrette. Oh yummy! From my first days living in the tropics, avocados became one of my favorite foods. They grow big ones down in the islands! I still remember walking through the markets in Fort-de-France, Martinique and seeing huge baskets full of gigantic avocados. No joke, half of one was a big meal! Here in the Northwest, we get the little California avocados. They taste pretty good, especially with my pear vinaigrette. Yum! And they are quite filling, essential when following a prescribed fasting regime. I eat no meat, no dairy, no coffee/tea/soda, no bread. This will probably not become a lifestyle but I have discovered a lot of new foods that we are enjoying so I don't know that we'll ever be big meat eaters again. Although, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time we had any meat other than chicken or hamburger. We used to eat steaks regularly but I haven't fixed one since last summer when we had company over for a BBQ. Anyway, it isn't easy to give up the sweets and the coffee. I really don't miss much else but I will be so thrilled to get my morning java back in my hands... in February!

No comments: