Sunday, January 09, 2011

Fasting

Our church is calling its members, those who wish to participate, to a 21-day fast. That's a long fast. It comes from the book of Daniel in the Old Testament. I have never done this before but my husband and I have committed to participate in this event. It begins tomorrow and ends the 31st. Before we made this commitment, I went to the store and bought big quantities of meat and chicken. I don't really enjoy grocery shopping so buying in quantities allows me to avoid this task. Now it will sit in my freezer for three weeks. Today I stocked up on vegetables and fruits, soups and whole grain foods. It's a lot cheaper than meat but of course, cheap is not the reason for the fast. We desire to see God accomplish something important during this year and in order for that to happen, we have to change. The focus cannot be on someone else finally getting it together and realizing that we were right all along... ha! If God is going to change someone, it will need to be me.

Search me, Know me
Try me and see
Every worthless affection
Hidden in me
All I'm asking for
Is that You'd cleanse me Lord

Create in me a heart that's clean
Conquer the power of secret shame
Come wash away the guilty stain of all my sin

Clothe me in robes of righteousness
Cover my nakedness with grace
All of my life before you now I humbly bring

That's what this fast is all about. It just happens that it will begin the week of Haiti's earthquake anniversary. A second area of focus for us will be a miracle for Haiti. It is long overdue... but of course, that's just my opinion, although many would probably agree with me.

A third point for me will be generational salvation. My father-in-law once told me that he was praying for my grandchildren, for their salvation. My sons (his grandsons) were little boys at the time. He told me it would be my job to pray for my grandchildren's children. I want to do that for I have five wonderful grandchildren who have the potential to change the world for Christ. I want to pray for the generations to come that they would know Jesus and would be known by Him.

So we will fast, we will pray, and God will be at work - in us and through us - this I pray.

No comments: