Monday, January 31, 2011

Coffee!

For the past 21 days, my husband and I have participated in a Daniel Fast organized by our church. We didn't eat meat, dairy, sweets, bread or drink anything but water and juiced fruits and vegetables. We were faithful and learned to enjoy all kinds of vegan dishes. I didn't miss a thing... except my morning coffee. Oh my, it was tough! I learned that it wasn't necessarily the coffee itself, it was the routine of my day that was changed. It wasn't the taste of the coffee, it was the comfort of holding my favorite mug, starting the day with it, feeling warmed by it. Of course I had the headaches for the first three days, but after that, it really wasn't about withdrawal, I just missed it - like I miss good friends.

Today is the first day post-fasting and yes, I am sitting here with my coffee. The aroma, the flavor, the warmth! My husband says I don't really taste the coffee because I add a flavored creamer (vanilla-caramel!) but I taste what I like in my big old mug! Somehow, I was even more comfortable in my devotions today. I know meeting with the Lord in the morning isn't about coffee but He must like it too because our early morning communion was so cozy and comfortable today.

No comments: