Monday, June 28, 2010

Life in the Park

Yesterday my husband and I went to Frye Cove County Park. This is so out of the way that I didn't even know it existed! We went for a short hike, down to the inlet, and just up and down trails in general. The vegetation is so dense that there were actually few birds in the area. But the forest smell was heavenly and the beauty of the water and mountains in the distance: breathtaking!

I live in a residential area that resembles a park. It's called Timberlake. The word says it all - we are surrounded by evergreens that are 40-50 feet tall and six houses down hill, at the end of my street, the lake begins. The development is about 50 years old. Our house is 42 years old. The houses in this development are pretty much all simple ramblers, ranch-style homes of about 2000 square feet on quarter acre lots. It's so nice to have space around us for the trees and gardens. We have deer, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, tons of birds. One neighbor saw a coyote near the lake last week. We are on the migration routes for ducks and geese, thanks to the long lake, I'm sure. Living in the northwest is so different from other parts of the USA. It's a lot cooler for one thing. This morning, at nearly 9 o'clock, it's not yet 60 degrees and the sounds and smells are quite reminiscent of yesterday's walk in the park. I actually hear and see more birds and the water is fresh water, not salt water, but the beauty of life in the park is quite the same. I love the peace and serenity it brings.

No comments: