Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Books

I am in the process of reviewing the books my junior high students read each year. I did at least skim read them before I purchased six copies of each for my literature circles. Some I have read thoroughly. I have chosen two sets of book titles based on wars. I don't know that this is a good thing but the coming of age theme is always a good idea for junior high and nothing grows a child to adulthood like war! For all of my themed studies I've tried to choose books that range from about a 5th grade level up through 8th or 9th grade. I haven't gone higher than this, even though I have many students who are post high school in their reading abilities, because my goal is to teach the literary elements through these novel studies. It does seem to be working and my students enjoy the freedom of discussing their books in small groups.

I would like to develop a study revolving around the American War for Independence but for now, my students read Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes and Mr. Revere and I by Robert Lawson. Johnny Tremain is an old classic that does a great job of developing characters as well as introducing a lot of historical characters and events in a realistic manner. Students read this early in the year and learn to write a character analysis as well as pick up lots of history along the way. A couple years ago, I taught this to one of my classes early in the year and the other class a couple months later. The US History teacher was complimenting the class of students who had read the novel, saying they were so well prepared for their study of the American Revolution, especially compared to the other class which knew little or nothing. I really hesitate to use this book because it is such an easy read but I'm still doing it. If I ever find another than presents the subject as well on a higher reading level, I'll buy it.

My first themed study for literature circles is the Civil War. Students read a range of books including Red Cap by G. Clifton Wisler, Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis, Freedom Crossing by Margaret Goff Clark, Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt, Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith, and Which Way Freedom by Joyce Hansen. I'm on the lookout for two more so if anyone has a recommendation, bring it on! This, of course, introduces the whole concept of slavery and our discussions are intense! I'm sure it helps to live in the Northwest; we can be incensed, appalled, and probably a bit arrogant in our opinions since "we" didn't do it! It's a good time to inform junior high students that slavery, especially child slavery, still exists today and that we need to do all we can to eliminate this horror!

Toward the end of the year I introduce World War II or Holocaust novels. There are tons of these but I have a new favorite: I Am David by Anne Holm. We read others such as The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank, Behind the Secret Window - Nelly S. Toll, Daniel's Story - Carol Matas, and The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom, but I Am David is quite a special story. It grips me that he had to teach himself to smile. Although just a momentary pause in the overall story, David's fear for an infant was palatable. He couldn't remember seeing a baby so small and and knew she could not defend herself or know enough to be invisible around them. I love his decision to have a God and how he calls upon "the God of green pastures and still waters to help him" - to become his compass. David is quite a believable kid, doing unbelievable things. Sadly, the more I read of this era, the more the unbelievable becomes the expected.

Another book I really, really like is A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park. I teach this as a class novel study. We have several Korean students who are a part of our junior high and I really wanted to introduce a book that would honor their culture and inform our students. A Single Shard portrays a 12th century, homeless, Korean, peasant boy who longs to become a potter. The ethics taught in this book are fabulous! Poverty is no excuse for lying, stealing, or doing wrong in any way. One of my personal goals for my students is to help them to kick it up a notch, to do the right thing because it is right not easy. This book is a great reinforcement for that idea. It is with this book that I teach writing a research paper with bibliography and all. I just picked up six copies of another Park book: Archer's Quest. I'll admit it, I bought it without reading more than the back cover. I also want to buy her novel The Kite Fighters but haven't done so as yet.

I teach a lot of other books throughout the year. I love teaching English through literature. I do have a basal series but I pick and choose what I use (not much). I also have the Write Source curriculum, the Wordly Wise workbooks (love them, even though it is random vocab). WW is a quick way to learn roots, antonyms and synonyms, prefixes and suffixes, and analogies. My students maintain reading journals with the help of 35 questions I found somewhere on the internet, actually I've compiled this list of questions from many I've found on the web.

I teach a Writer's Workshop as well. I love using Gail Carson Levine's book Writing Magic for mini-lessons. It's such a practical book but that's another post for another day. Time to get moving - the sun is shining!!! And that's a big deal in Washington state!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Thanks for this - I really like reading about how other teachers do things!