Saturday, June 12, 2010

It's here!

I have been sooooooooooooooooo ready for this school year to finish and it is finally over! What a trying year! I think there are layers of frustration that have rendered this year as one of my least favorite of all time. Things like a homeroom of non-speakers, normally I like a quiet class but this batch took an entire semester to warm up to each other. There was the earthquake in Haiti that possessed my mind for weeks and months, making my teaching less effective because I just wasn't "present" in the way that I needed to be. There were the expulsions in both junior high and the high school; both were LONG overdue and nearly went unnoticed.

But summer vacation is here. I have 80 days beginning today before I walk into a classroom of students again. I am going to do something significant every day. Today I will go to my mother's, work in her garden planting and weeding, then take her out to lunch. I am determined that each day will have significance because I really need it and I know that if I bring purpose into these days, they will seem to last longer! Also on my agenda, a baby quilt for a new grandson who will be born in France next fall. My heart aches that I won't know him early but it is interesting that it was the grandsons who were born at a time when we could not be present. We were there for each of the granddaughters' arrivals. Maybe my little boys are made of tougher stuff... nah... not so much!

Time to move out of my leather recliner and into the sunshine. Thank the Lord for summer vacation!

No comments: