Friday, February 05, 2010

The Perfect Evening

I have a completely different way of relaxing from most people I know. Mine involves little kids! If you want to completely forget whatever problems might be weighing you down, hang out with some kids, preferably younger than junior high. There's non-stop drama that comes with junior high.

This week Colton turned six years old. You have no idea how impossible that seems! Although whenever I try to pick him up, I do realize that he really is getting quite big! We had such fun with him tonight, and his sisters, and his parents. We went to Chuck E. Cheese. It was total mayhem; yep - perfect. Noise and kids and laughter and noise and... well, you get the idea. We thought that getting there around 5:30 would help us avoid the crowd. Seems like a couple hundred other people thought the same thing! It was wild! But our kids were so sweet and well-behaved. Once I was trailing Sierra, not realizing that she had no idea I was behind her. When she finally saw me she was quite perturbed and let me know that she "couldn't find me!" Poor baby, she felt lost! Colton has no fear... went from one game to another, would try anything. If someone was with him, fine; if he thought he was on his own, that was no problem either. Kayla was pretty focused on acquiring as many tickets as possible. It helped that the basketball thing freaked out and spit out a ton of tickets! That was fun!

These children force me to refocus and consider the blessings in my life. They are so precious and I am so wealthy with all that matters! Ever since the Haiti quake, Terry and I have used the phrase "Let me put that into perspective for you" (and begin our rant on the conditions in Haiti) anytime anyone feels like complaining about anything. Being around my grandchildren allows me to put things into perspective also. I look at them and see the future; I am totally confident that the world will be a better place because they will be there to shape it. I believe in them, in the young adults who are parenting them, in my loving Heavenly Father who is guiding them. Yep, I think I'll just sit here and contemplate my perfect evening... and be thankful!

No comments: