Monday, February 22, 2010

Battles, Who Wants 'Em!!!

Listen, This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the battle is not yours, but God's. You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.'

Those were the words we were given before we went to the mission field in 1981. Tonight, after a really stress-filled day for both my husband and myself, I randomly googled the words: a word from the Lord, or something like that, and the title "The Battle is the Lord's" came up. It took me right back to that place, in Kansas City, so many years ago, when we received that very promise. I remember thinking that it was nice that the Lord would do this for us but the rest of the scenario didn't sound like much fun. It wasn't. And lately, life has not been fun.

The Haiti quake was/is so incredibly tragic and difficult. Having lived and served there for so long, there was no way to just read about what was happening and let it go. It had a huge impact on us. And that very sentence sounds so stupidly selfish! But there are those who understand what I mean so I'm just going to leave it there. Lately there have been some things at school, kids and choices and consequences. It's probably true that no matter what decision was reached, someone would have been angry about it but it's awful to feel like we've let people down, especially after trying so hard to seek the Lord's direction and act compassionately, as we really believe Jesus would have responded.

So it all comes back to the battles. Sigh... I guess it's time to get the armor on and get back in the fight. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of fighting; I'd like to see some serious victories for once! I'll keep trusting and praying and yes, even standing firm... for however long it takes... in order to see the deliverance the Lord has for us.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I'm tired of battles, too!