Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Night. Yes!

I'm so glad it's Friday. I always like Fridays, mostly because I love Saturday mornings spent leisurely beside the fire, but this week I just wanted school to be over! It's been nuts! Satan is determined to snatch our beautiful students away from the faith that has been cultivated in their lives, that they have chosen on their own; Satan is determined to destroy them. That's really what this is all about.

We have fought some pretty big battles this week. Some parents really understood, some thought we were wonderfully compassionate, some thought we were too harsh, and some were worried about their kids' feelings... p-l-e-a-s-e! Really? These kids made decisions that could have cost them their lives and we're supposed to worry that they might feel bad? I love teaching school; I love my students; I believe what I am doing is incredibly important for the future of the world. I really do mean that. But there are times when I wonder why some people are allowed to be parents. Okay... that's really an exaggeration. Actually it's nothing compared to what I just deleted.

When did it become a good idea to sacrifice our children's health and welfare, to say nothing of their spiritual destiny, for wimpy feelings? Do we understand that we need to set our standards high enough so our children have something serious to acquire? Do we comprehend the fact that kids need parameters? Boundaries? Limits? I read a four word phrase that is the new motto for my classroom - "Pursue excellence, not excuses!" And that's it. Now when a student wants to argue with me about something being too hard (whine, whine, whine) I point to the white board and state firmly "No Excuses!" and he quits the whining routine. He knows I mean it. I said he... it's usually a he.... no - it's always a he. Anyway, I'm distracted. It's time to step it up and do the hard thing because it's the right thing, not because it feels good. And if that means my week is tough, then my week is tough. I will not give in and accept mediocrity as the norm. My students will read more, write more, and understand that vivid verbs make life more interesting. I'm so glad it's Friday.

No comments: