Saturday, January 16, 2010

My mind; I miss it!

I think I have lost my mind. Ever since Tuesday when the earthquake hit Haiti - a 7.0 in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere... Are you kidding? We lived in Haiti for twelve years, worked there for eighteen. These are people who scrape and labor and work so hard! My dad taught me that if you work hard enough, you will succeed. Dad was usually right, but he never went to Haiti. People work like crazy and still don't have enough to feed their families. And now... an earthquake of Biblical proportions. I am so angry. For pity sake, why? This is so cruel! I have faith, I believe in God, but right now I certainly don't get it. However, if this amount of death and pain is for some reason required of people, who are so poor and broken already by four huge hurricanes just two years ago, then I am ready for an equally major miracle of Biblical proportions!

I guess I do see some miracles. Not just the lives saved from the rubble, but the lives of some of my former students, people of privilege who truly enjoyed their lives in Haiti. They partied and danced and played at the beach. They have plenty of resources, could easily go to Miami or elsewhere to escape this mess but they aren't doing that. They are staying, working amid the rubble to save people, working in the hospitals to translate for doctors as they operate on the suffering. Getting absolutely dirty with the blood and dirt and grime of their broken country. Augh! My God, help Haiti; help my students to rise up, do good things in bad times, and to truly know that you are God. Help Haiti to heal. Help me find my mind... in You.

No comments: