Saturday, December 09, 2006

My Granddaughter is a Reader!

We babysat the grandchildren tonight and after a few hours of rambunctious play, a movie, bathtime, and the struggle into pjs, it was time for books. We brought two books from home to read to the little ones. Terry went with Colton and I went with Kayla. I set the Christmas book before her and told her that this was really a special story. She begged me to let her read it. I told her that it was a big kid's book and I thought it would be too hard but she wanted to try... and she read... she went on and on... reading page after page. I was dumbfounded; my chin about hit the floor. I've taught school off and on for 30 years and I wasn't ready for this. I had heard Kayla read about 3 weeks ago, and what she did tonight, the incredible progress, was astounding! I was so proud of her. My heart just wanted to burst. Later, as she was preparing her chocolate milk (the final stall tactic before bed) I knelt before her and very seriously told her how proud I was of her and what she could do. The book she read tonight was not a first grader's book. I could tell she was pleased with the compliment but was it enough? I want her to know that she is entering a new world of discovery, beauty, and enlightenment. I want her to know that I think she is amazing for what she has accomplished in such a short time. She is so serious about reading. Her little forehead wrinkles up as she plows through the pages. And she loves it! Oh Lord God, bring teachers into this child's life who will lift her, encourage her, and affirm her abilities. For this little girl, barely six years old, is a true reader and merits the encouragement!

1 comment:

Kassie said...

You are truly a blessing! Thank you for the time you spend with both Kayla and Colton. I know that they are better for all of the family time they have. Your encouragement makes a huge difference for Kayla, I know, and for me! I'll have to let Kayla read this one for herself. :D