Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Quilting

I have been hard at work on my new grandson's quilt. We'll call him E since mom and dad don't want to reveal his name as yet and he is 'Baby E' - as in ABCDE. I don't spend much of my time in domesticity but I have made a quilt for each of my grandchildren. This one, I think, will be one of the better ones. It just has a good feel to it. For each of my quilts, the center is occupied by a large embroidery prepared by Marie, our former housekeeper and friend from Haiti. Baby A has a unique center square, the repentant little angel with the skewed halo. The other four quilts are similar. Babies B and E have the same boyish trumpeter in the center and babies C and D have the same little girl in a garden scene. The fabric choices are different, in design and color, for each of the quilts. I love that my grandchildren will enjoy a tiny cuddle that represents my Haitian séjour of eighteen years.

No comments: